As the new semester kicks into full swing, planners rapidly filling up with assignments and due dates, the notion of cooking healthy becomes the last thing on many student’s minds. Most people assume that cooking yourself a healthy, nourishing meal requires careful planning and extensive amounts of time, but I am here to tell you that is far from the truth. Once you get a few solid recipes under your belt that you can easily whip up throughout the week, you’ll see how little effort healthy cooking requires. Here are three of my absolute favorite vegan and gluten-free meals to make for myself throughout the week!
For more plant-based recipes, follow Tayler on Instagram @cleaneatsbytay.
Breakfast: Blueberry Cashew Coconut Oatmeal Bake
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
- 1/2 cup GF rolled oats
- 1/2 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 banana mashed
- 1/4 cup blueberries (can use frozen or reg!)
- 1 scoop plant-based vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 1 tsp flaxseed meal (optional)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cashew butter (i use @juliesreal coconut vanilla bean cashew butter – it honestly tastes like cookie dough!)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- coconut shreds for topping
- Preheat oven to 400F and spray an oven-safe dish with nonstick spray. In a mixing bowl, add in oats, almond milk, mashed banana, protein powder, flax meal, cinnamon, blueberries, cashew butter, and vanilla and stir.
- Add in baking powder and stir again. Pour the mixture into the oven safe dish and add some coconut shreds on top.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes, add more cashew butter on top and enjoy!
Lunch: Rainbow Buddha Bowl
Prep time: 10-15 min
- ¼ cup cooked quinoa
- Spinach or leafy green of choice
- Red cabbage
- Organic canned sweet corn
- Sliced baby bella mushroom
- Shredded carrot
- ½ an avocado
- 1-2 tbsp Trader Joe’s Green Goddess dressing
- Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel seasoning and microgreens for topping
- Cook your quinoa according to your package instructions.
- When finished cooking, add all ingredients to a bowl and enjoy right away!
Dinner: Gluten-Free Pasta with Cooked Veggies
Prep time: >10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 3/4 cup Trader Joe’s Brown Rice & Quinoa Fusilli Gluten-free pasta
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce of choice
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup packed sliced baby bella mushrooms
- ¼ cup yellow squash or zucchini squash, sliced
- ¼ cup sweet yellow onion, chopped
- Sprinkle each of garlic salt, dried basil, and black pepper
- Optional: pumpkin seeds and hemp hearts on top for extra nutrients
- In a medium sized pot, bring water to a boil (just enough so that the pasta will be submerged).
- Add in pasta and lower to a fast simmer. Let cook for ~10 minutes or until the noodles are plenty soft.
- While the pasta is cooking, bring a fry pan to medium heat and pour in oil.
- Add in mushroom, squash, onion, and seasonings, and sauté for about 10 minutes or until the veggies are cooked down. Remove from heat and set aside when finished.
- Once pasta is finished cooking, drain the water, rinse the noodles, then place back on the stove on low heat, add in sauce, stir, and let warm for several minutes.
- Serve immediately with veggies and toppings of choice and enjoy.